Sunday, November 14, 2010

Many years ago, when the Seattle P-I was not only still around but competitive with the Seattle Times (and the Times was still an afternoon paper), the P-I had a cartoonist by the name of Ray Collins. Ray created a cartoon strip featuring Cecil C. Addle and his sidekick, Dipstick Duck. His cartoons were whimsical and at times wry or satirical commentary on life in the Puget Sound region. Cecil and Dipstick appeared for only a couple of years, as I recall, before Ray returned to his native Ohio where, a few years later, he died. Nonetheless, Cecil and Dipstick live on in my memory and in the two cartoons below that I saved. If there are others of you out there who remember Ray and his creations, let me know. If you have cartoons of his, I'd be glad to post them. In any case, thanx, Ray!




A whimsical letter, also
from the P-I.
































6 comments:

  1. This comment was made with Chrome on a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see your memories and musings in this public space, Dave. Can't wait for more goodies to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My plan is to have a new post every Sunday. If you haven't already, check out my first post, which explains what The Uncommon Citizen is about.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember dipstick, and enjoyed it whenever I picked up a PI. Never read the expose about using cockroaches to power fire department vehicles before, but believe it was pretty common to put fire to the roaches back then.

    cap

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, roaches! (Not to be confused with the sisters singing group The Roches.)

    ReplyDelete